Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tornadoes

The tornado sirens started going off on Saturday morning at about 4 am, and continued on and off all day. They are pretty annoying especially in the middle of the night (I feel like Ann Frank might have...on a much smaller scale) but at least we get some warning. 

We have yet to hide in the closet, but the storms get pretty bad. The rain comes down hard, and it's so windy it looks like the rain is falling horizontally, but Collierville has yet to be badly hit. Tornadoes hit in a couple towns in our county, and apparently one touched down a couple kilometers from our house at about 1 am this morning. Scott and I slept right through that, so either it wasn't that bad or we're pretty heavy sleepers. I heard the siren go off, but fell right back asleep!

The problem with the tornado warnings is that they are issued by county. Our county, Shelby County, is quite large so we hear the sirens even if we are in no real danger. Scott equates it to "the boy who cried wolf", but one day we might actually need the siren so I try not to totally discount it.

There has been some bad flash flooding in areas near us. I head people were being rescued by boat. I guess this is one occasion where I can cheer for renting. It's never going to be my problem! (Other than the potential loss of all my stuff...)

But, the weather has passed and we are safe and sound!

No comments:

Post a Comment