Friday, February 19, 2010

Sweet Tea

I have mastered the art of Sweet Tea- pouring it, that is. Scott was always telling me that Southerners loved a lot of ice, but I never experienced it first hand until a couple weeks ago. Before I get into the story I must explain some things first:
  • Stephanie is my boss (she's just positively amazing...and probably reading this! tee hee)
  • Brent is her husband- he takes all of the stores/sites pictures (As you can see, he's great at what he does)
  • Shooting pictures for the site is a NEVER ENDING process, but unlike others, I find it fun
  • We have "photo shoot" nights about once a week. We start with dinner when the store closes at 6 and finish shooting sometime between 9 and 11. By finish, I mean just for the night.
  • We get dinner on photo shoot nights and eat it at the counter, I am the designated food picker uper 
  • Stephanie always has diet coke, I waver between diet coke, rootbeer and diet dr. pepper and Brent rotates between diet coke and Sweet Tea sweetened with Splenda.
Alright, you are up to speed. Back to my story.

A couple weeks ago we ate Newks for dinner. I'ts my favorite "slow fast food" here. They have amazing sandwiches, salads, pizzas etc. and conveniently enough, in the same parking lot of the store. Well Brent decides it's a Sweet Tea night so I add to our order and head out to pick it up. (My mouth is watering at this point, I'm surprised I have not stopped on my way back to the store, across the parking lot remember, and devoured my meal. It's that good.) I go to fill up Bren't tea. I figure it's supposed to be cold, so I add ice to the cup, but only the standard amount. I then proceed to fill up the tea. I notice it's hot and melting all the ice. I figure that's just how it should be. Looks gross to me, but hey, to each their own. (I did not ask for tea filling instructions- I didn't know there was a catch).

So at this point I'm back at the store. We stand around the counter to eat, I mention that the ice probably melted but I'm not really sure what's up with the whole tea process. He takes a drink. Bless his heart he probably wanted to gag, or at the very least spit it out. He says "It's okay, just a little warm". (He's very polite and would not tell me at that point it was disgusting, although I know).

Well I redeemed myself. Last night we had Newks again (did I mention it's my favorite!?) and he was probably nervous, but he dared to ask for Sweet Tea again. I was smarter this time and asked for clarification  on the ice to tea ratio. Here are the instructions:
  1. Fill the glass at least half full. In this case, it's better to air on the side of caution and have more rather than less.
  2. Fill with the hot tea. (Why they keep it hot I have no clue. Seems pretty useless to me. I'm still working on that)
It's as easy as that. He didn't cringe this time. I was proud. I still have my job!

1 comment:

  1. Yes we are reading:) It's hot b/c it was probably JUST made...in our homes we keep it in the fridge so it does not melt our ice!

    ReplyDelete