Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Craft Room

I received a sewing machine from my parents for Christmas last year, and due to lack of space and time I have not used it much since then. A couple weeks ago I decided that the spare bedroom was used for little more than piling junk and that it was actually supposed to be called the "Craft Room". I took a couple bags to Goodwill and piled up a few things to put on Craigslist and organized the remaining stuff. It is now the craft room/storage room with a corner and desk devoted to Scott's computer.

(He asked me to please note that I kicked him out of the room. I would like to counter that his laptop is still in there, on its own desk. That was the only thing he used the room for anyways.)

The new craft room















I decided that my first project needed to by my duvet cover. Both the cover and the duvet are King, but I have sworn since day one (3+ years ago) that the cover is too big. There is always tons of cover on the sides and top while the duvet is slumped in the center and bottom. Drives me NUTS.

So, I measured it and sure enough the duvet cover was HUGE....like 10" too wide on each side and 5" or so too long! I knew it! I got to work and took the cover in on both sides and the top and now it fits beautifully!

I also planned on attaching snaps so that I could adhere the cover to the duvet to prevent any further slipping. These days, most bedding comes with said snaps, but back in the day we weren't so lucky. I have my duvet in a cover and then the "decorative" cover (like how you put a cover over your pillow before the pillowcase...), so there was quite a few snaps to be sewn. I got the duvet adhered to the "protective" cover, but not yet to the decorative cover. (Which you will see isn't so decorative) I will have to trim the excess from taking the cover in before adhering snaps, so we're going to use it as is for a while to be sure it's the size I want before I cut.

Look how fluffy and full it looks now!















We used it for the first time last night. It was delightful. More sewing/craft projects to come...I also just got a needle punch from Michael's that I'm super excited about!

1 comment:

  1. that looks awesome! Hey, I started a needlepunch project tonight too.

    ReplyDelete